Chemical Landmarks

Chemical Landmark 2013
Chemical Landmark 2013 (Image: Ch. Pfammatter)
×
Chemical Landmark 2013
Chemical Landmark 2013 (Image: Ch. Pfammatter)

The «Platform Chemistry» established the program «Chemical Landmarks» to identify and manifest the scientific and technological heritage by awarding sites which have played a significant role in the history of chemistry in Switzerland.

Switzerland in particular owes a major part of its wealth to chemistry with its discoveries and successes in research and the ensuing chemical industry. The goal of the program is to recognise historical sites where distinguished chemists or important chemical breakthroughs were made and to emphasize and foster public interest in the chemical sciences.

Annually, one historic site is selected and awarded during an official ceremonial act.

All Chemical Landmarks to date:

The laboratory in Reichnau Castle
Image: Copyright: Barbara Winter-Werner
×
The laboratory in Reichnau Castle
The laboratory in Reichnau Castle (Image: Copyright: Barbara Winter-Werner)

«Chemical Landmark» 2014

Laboratory at Reichenau Castle:
A preserved, private research laboratory from the mid-19th century.

The first site of Lonza in Gampel was built in 1897
Image: © Lonza AG
×
The first site of Lonza in Gampel was built in 1897
The first site of Lonza in Gampel was built in 1897 (Image: © Lonza AG)

«Chemical Landmark» 2013

Lonza plant in Visp:
A pioneer of chemistry in the Upper Valais.

Rosental-Areal, Aufnahme aus dem Jahr 1926
Image: © Novartis Firmenarchiv
×
Rosental-Areal, Aufnahme aus dem Jahr 1926
Rosental-Areal, Aufnahme aus dem Jahr 1926 (Image: © Novartis Firmenarchiv)

«Chemical Landmark» 2012

The Rosental site in Basel:
The cradle of Basel’s chemical industry.

Novartis archives:
The oldest company archive in Switzerland.

Uni Bastions an der 5, rue De-Candolle
Image: Quelle: BGE, Centre d'iconographie genevoise
×
Uni Bastions an der 5, rue De-Candolle
Uni Bastions an der 5, rue De-Candolle (Image: Quelle: BGE, Centre d'iconographie genevoise)

«Chemical Landmark» 2011

The Laboratory of Jean-Charles Galissard de Marignac:
The workplace of the discoverer of the elements Ytterbium (Yb) and Gadolinium (Gd).

TH/Chemiegebäude, interior view, lecture hall D2 for inorganic and organic chemistry in 1917, on the left: Prof. Hans Fierz (Source: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Bildarchiv)
Image: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Bildarchiv
×
TH/Chemiegebäude, interior view, lecture hall D2 for inorganic and organic chemistry in 1917, on the left: Prof. Hans Fierz (Source: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Bildarchiv)
TH/Chemiegebäude, interior view, lecture hall D2 for inorganic and organic chemistry in 1917, on the left: Prof. Hans Fierz (Source: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Bildarchiv) (Image: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Bildarchiv)

«Chemical Landmark» 2010

The former chemistry building of the ETH Zürich:
The place of work and education for several generations of chemists and chemical engineers.

Main building of the «Laboratorium» in 1960 (Source: Winterthurer Bibliotheken, Sondersammlungen)
×
Main building of the «Laboratorium» in 1960 (Source: Winterthurer Bibliotheken, Sondersammlungen)
Main building of the «Laboratorium» in 1960 (Source: Winterthurer Bibliotheken, Sondersammlungen)

«Chemical Landmark» 2009

«Laboratorium» in Winterthur:
The first chemical factory in Switzerland.

The following contents are not data of Sciences Switzerland.

Call for nominations

Nominations for the next round of designations are now open:

Everyone – chemist or non-chemist, historian or non-historian – is encouraged to submit their nomination to the «Platform Chemistry».

Share with us an aspect of Swiss chemical history by providing a description of the site or place with a detailed statement of its historical importance (max. 3 A4 pages).
Further documentations (pictures, articles etc.) are welcome.

The proposals will be reviewed by a committee of chemists, chemical engineers, and science historians.

Contact:

SCNAT
Platform Chemistry
Laupenstrasse 7
3008 Bern

chemistry@scnat.ch.com [without ".com"]