Future Earth 2025 Vision
Future Earth 2025 Vision sets the framework for the programme’s contribution to global sustainable development
The Future Earth 2025 Vision outlines what Future Earth will contribute over the coming decade to achieve its vision for people to thrive in a sustainable and equitable world.
The Future Earth 2025 Vision sets out an ambitious, holistic framework for research and capacity mobilisation. Central to achieving the vision is a commitment to co-design and co-produce knowledge in collaboration with societal partners in order to develop solutions-oriented research that responds to the sustainability challenges facing society.
The Future Earth 2025 Vision has been written by the Future Earth Science Committee and interim Engagement Committee, and will provide a framework for Future Earth activities over the 10 years of the programme.
Future Earth identifies eight focal challenges that research needs to address in order to achieve a sustainable and equitable world:
1. Deliver water, energy, and food for all, and manage the synergies and trade-offs among them
2. Decarbonise socio-economic systems to stabilise the climate
3. Safeguard the terrestrial, freshwater and marine natural assets underpinning human well-being
4. Build healthy, resilient and productive cities
5. Promote sustainable rural futures to feed rising and more affluent populations
6. Improve human health
7. Encourage sustainable consumption and production patterns that are equitable
8. Increase social resilience to future threats
Source: Future Earth